The Journey of the Daring Condor

The Race for the Sun Stone

<monkoflords> The crew had managed to return to the ship in the early morning. They didn't know much, beyond the fact the just slew a demon searching for the bearer of Anhelus...and that his affliction of fire was caused by him. &lt;monkoflords> The locales appear appreciative, but still wary.
<monkoflords> They are happy to see you on your way. &lt;monkoflords> The captain greets you all, so you’ve slain a demon, well done
<sirena> “You know the more I travel the more people I run across that don’t like outsiders” she nods at the Captain “For a demon he or it was kinda sad.”
<yaax> “But it was not really that informative.” scratches his nose with a claw.
<monkoflords> "Well, most demons aren't." &lt;yaax> "I'll take your word for it Captain." frowns. "So where to now?" &lt;monkoflords> “But, from our friends vision, we know the tower…or what’s left of it, is to the south.”
<@monkoflords> “Beyond that, we may have to just trust our impressive instincts.” He strikes a pose.

  • Sirena claps at the Captain
    <yaax> Grins at the captain and shakes his head. “well then just give the word Captain!”
    <@monkoflords> “To the south friends!” He laughs, “To brighter waters!”
    <yaax> “thank the gods for that!” takes his place at the wheel.
    <sirena> “Excellent!”
  • Onarius nods “To adventure!”
    <monkoflords> The ship turns south, and begins its voyage. The crew managed to grab some fish, so their provisions were stable &lt;monkoflords> The tropical air was humid, the cool sea air prevented any unpleasantness.
    <monkoflords> As you proceeded further south into Manua territory, the sailors grew somewhat wary, hoping the main tribal armies of Manuans wouldn't turn on them. &lt;monkoflords> The sun seems unusually bright this time of year.
    <monkoflords> At night, all is normal, but the days shines ever strong. &lt;yaax> "This is soo strange." &lt;monkoflords> As you pass by a few islands, you see a shining light on a mountaintop in the early morning.
    <sirena> “What’s so strange?”
    <onarius> “Well now, that is a new one. What do you make of that on the mountain?”
    <monkoflords> At first, it appears to be the sun rising...but then you notice the sun is directly above the mountain's peak...something on the top of it is reflecting the rock. &lt;monkoflords> And many…many boats are surrounding the island. From canoes to full ships of many kinds.
    <sirena> “Nothing good….”
    <yaax> “I learned to sail in these parts and i have never seen anything like this.”
    <monkoflords> A great congregation of what appears to be people have surrounded the island. &lt;monkoflords> Many people don’t appear local
    <monkoflords> The captain looks towards you all, "An interesting sight...some of those ships are Atlan...some are Lemurian...bizarre, I thought the Manuans disliked outsiders." &lt;sirena> "Maybe it has to do with the mountain" &lt;onarius> "I suppose either they changed their views or perhaps do not know of these others in their domain. The mountain does seem to be garnering a lot of attention." &lt;monkoflords> The captain nods.
    <monkoflords> "What say you lads?" &lt;sirena> "I say we go check it out" &lt;monkoflords> The captain smiles, “Fortune favors the bold after all.”
  • Onarius smiles and nods
    <onarius> “Yes, could be important!”
    <monkoflords> "The onwards lads! We have some adventuring to do!" &lt;monkoflords> The ship turns towards the island, and towards the shining light.
    <monkoflords> As the ship gets closer, you see a make shift dock near the shoreline. People are lining up in tents on the shore. &lt;yaax> "I've got a bad feeling about this." leans on the wheel and grins. "I do hope this will be fun." &lt;monkoflords> The ship makes dock surprisingly easily. No one stops you.
  • Sirena snickers at Yaax “Oh yes” she scratches a cheek “Well that seemed a little easy”
    <monkoflords> As you make land, many...participants see you doc. &lt;monkoflords> ^dock
    <monkoflords> A few watch you with suspicious eyes...not as though they will attack though. &lt;monkoflords> A few locals help guide your ship in.
    <@monkoflords> One says, “Welcome to the Race for the Sun friends.”
  • Sirena blink blink
    <yaax> “Huh?”
    <@monkoflords> The man paused, “Did you not know?”
  • Onarius smiles “Unfortunately not, what is the race for the sun if I may ask?”
    <monkoflords> "Ah yes, once a year on this island, the sun hits the rock upon this mountain just right, and fills it with power." &lt;monkoflords> “Those who gaze upon it either burn up and die…or get imbued with great power.”
    <@monkoflords> “Only a few may witness the stone before the power drains away, so many come to gaze upon it each year.”
    <sirena> “Interesting”
    • Silver-Away (~Silverlio@MagicStar-5C45B45D.dyn.grandenetworks.net) has joined #atlantisrpg
      <monkoflords> "Those who wish to see the stone must ascend the mountain." &lt;silver-away> (Gah, sorry I fell asleep) &lt;monkoflords> (S’cool)
    • Silver-Away is now known as Asim
      <@monkoflords> “Many will try to stop you of course, as they ascend themselves. The time is almost upon us.”
  • Asim comes staggering along with an empty cup from the victory celebration
    <sirena> “Oh this does sound like lots of fun!”
    <yaax> “I do believe this will be an excellent stop.”
    <monkoflords> The captain smiles, "Yes friends, it very much will." &lt;asim> "A race? foot race?" &lt;asim> "What rules must I obey?" &lt;monkoflords> The man nods, “Well, yes…that’s how it works.”
    <monkoflords> "Never seen anyone fly up there myself....or heard from them..." &lt;asim> "Hrms..Fly..." &lt;asim> "That would be cheating, wouldn't it?" &lt;monkoflords> “Most likely…and the other competitors probably would not be found of it.”
    <monkoflords> "Might try to shoot you down." &lt;yaax> "Oh that would be bad." &lt;asim> "I can see that..." &lt;monkoflords> “Will you be joining us then?”
    <asim> “How long until the race?”
    <asim> “I can but endeavor to try..”
    <asim> “Is this per person, or a team race?”
    <monkoflords> "The first...twenty or so... that make it will witness the stone." &lt;yaax> "Then it is a singular effort..." &lt;sirena> "Any rules against killing the competition?" &lt;monkoflords> The man shakes his head.
    <monkoflords> "You may do as you may to reach the top." &lt;sirena> "Good to know" &lt;monkoflords> “You have a bit of time, about another movement of the sun before it is ready.”
    <@monkoflords> The man walks off
    <yaax> “So, now what?”
    <asim> “Would any of you be willing to suffer the power of a spell? A great and terrible spell, to aid us?”
  • Sirena holds up her hand “Me Me Pick Me!”
    <yaax> “Might as well.”
    <asim> “And you Onarius? Are you in?”
    <asim> “This spell will make you move like the wind—but you’ll hear the keening of wind, and will be distracted by it..”
  • Asim begins singing a song that sounds almost like a wind rushing forward
  • Asim throws sparkling bits of quarts into the air..
  • Asim voice rises and rises as the howling wind grows near in song.
    <monkoflords> The wind surrounds you, and every one of you can hear Yaax's blade chuckling. The wind seems to guide your feet. &lt;yaax> "I see you find this amusing, Lovely." &lt;onarius> "This is a very interesting sensation." &lt;sirena> "You know I've seen a bunch of magic in my life but it's still impressive" she looks at Yaax "Man you are so lucky" &lt;monkoflords> The captain laughs, “It reminds me of the time I fought that dragon in the nude.”
    <sirena> “You fought a dragon in the nude!”
    <monkoflords> "Or was it a giant goose..." the captain pauses. &lt;sirena> "I've never seen a giant goose..." &lt;monkoflords> “Then you have not lived.”
  • Sirena sighs “Well I must find a giant goose then”
    <monkoflords> The suns seems to get closer...and everyone holds their breath &lt;asim> "I hope one of us can win.." &lt;asim> "I will aid you as best I can.." &lt;yaax> "I have no doubt." grins. "Is it that time?" &lt;asim> "Are you talking to us yaax or the sword?" &lt;yaax> "To you. Is the race about to start?" &lt;asim> "Yes...' &lt;asim> "Soon.." &lt;monkoflords> The sun gets a bit higher…and then the light strikes the stone, and the island lights up in a blinding light. Everyone is off immediately.
    <@monkoflords> The race is off
  • Asim runs spear in hand, but otherwise naked
  • Sirena tilts her head as Asim takes off “That’s one way to make yourself faster” she grins and takes off
    <asim> “I must feel the wind in my fur!”
    <asim> “Like when I raced gazelles at home!”
    <sirena> “Are you drunk?”
    <asim> “Heavan’s No..I’d never do magic drunk..”
    <asim> “I do have a pounding hangover though..”
    <sirena> “Good to know!”
    <monkoflords> The groups begin to rush towards the jungle covered mountain, as cheers from their mates echo towards the mountainside. &lt;monkoflords> A few screams can be heard, the groups are already attack each other
    <yaax> “Don’t mind him. He is just that way sometimes.”
    <sirena> “Oh? Well as long as he’s happy”
    <asim> “..I am not that far behind….”
  • Asim laughs
    <onarius> “This…is…fantastic! I’ve never done anything like this in all my years!”
    <monkoflords> The group speeds ahead at full throttle. They leave most of the skirmishers behind...though from what you all can tell...you are not alone. &lt;monkoflords> A few other more competent groups are keeping pace
  • Asim jags around rocks and trees
    <yaax> “Sirena! Get down!”
    <monkoflords> Just as Sirena ducks, a volley of lead flies right over her head. &lt;sirena> "Hey!" she pulls out her bow "Thanks Yaax!" &lt;monkoflords> You all now notice the group of Lemurians moving up towards your left. Including the one that tried to shoot Sirena
    <yaax> “Don’t think me yet!” Draws the Lady.
    <sirena> “Fine tell me when I can thank you”
    <asim> “Do you need help?”
  • Asim yells at Sirena
    <sirena> “Nope I’m good” she grins and lets 6 arrows loose into the group
    <@monkoflords> The arrows fly, and strike true. The apes all fall.
    <yaax> “Now you can thank me.”
    <sirena> “Oh? Thank you!”
    <asim> “Magic ahead…be ready for anything!”
    <yaax> “you are welcome.”
  • Onarius looks ahead
    <monkoflords> The chanting ceases, and a massive flock of birds rushes your group. &lt;onarius> "There is shamantic chanting ahead, perhaps someone intends to call something to meet us." &lt;monkoflords> There are birds of all kinds, and they swarm you all.
    <asim> “Form of the WIND!”
    <sirena> “Really birds!” she sighs and dives to the side, she rolls to her feet and starts forward again
    <monkoflords> The group avoids the flock! &lt;yaax> leaps behind a tree. "This race is getting on my nerves!" &lt;monkoflords> The Shaman moves forward up the mountain.
    <monkoflords> The group presses on, as they leave the jungle behind. The mountain is all that remains...beyond the others &lt;monkoflords> You stare up a sheer cliff face…and see a few groups climbing up
    <asim> “Now I wish I could fly..”
    <sirena> “Climbing is much more fun!”
    <asim> (Are there vines on the cliff/trees, since we’re in a south easternish jungle place?)
    <@monkoflords> (Yes)
  • Asim swings from trees to the cliff and swings back and forth getting higher and jumping madly to new vines.
  • Onarius fumbles around with the cliff face clumsily
  • Sirena snorts at Asim as she climbs straight up, she glances own at Onarius “You need some help down there?”
    <asim> “Tie yourself to a vine..once we’re up, will haul you!”
  • Onarius nods
    <onarius> “Will do, afraid this I am not to good at myself.”
    <asim> “Embrace your inner ape!”
    <monkoflords> The group starts ascending the wall. &lt;monkoflords> Once they make it half way, you begin to hear screams from the top.
  • Asim heaves Onarius as best he can..
    <asim> "I wonder what awaits us…
    <monkoflords> A smoldering skeleton drops from the cliffs above you. &lt;monkoflords> Yelling and confusion can be heard above
  • Onarius scrambles at the wall trying to help “That does not sound to welcoming.”
    <monkoflords> What was once a bright light, is now a single blinding beam, that rotates around and around. &lt;monkoflords> Something, has happened to the Sun Stone apparently.
    <asim> “That does not sound good…try and not get hit by the beam..”
    <monkoflords> The group continue their climb, and peer over the edge of the peak. &lt;monkoflords> It isn’t easy to tell, but from what you can see…there was a fight up hear near the stone, and someone struck it, causing the light from the stone to flow differently through it.
    <monkoflords> Now it is a focused beam, transferring all of its power at once to anyone who gazes on it. Much more powerful than it's original version. &lt;monkoflords> Some have tried to behold the light and failed.
    <asim> “I’m going to get closer..”
    <sirena> “good luck…”
  • Asim gets a close as possible and whispers a name aloud “Anhur?”
    <yaax> “Well this looks less than promising.”
  • Asim glows
  • Asim burns with light pouring into and out of him like a small radiant star…
    <@monkoflords> The light still glows.
    <onarius> “Well, no screaming. That’s a good sign, right?”
    <sirena> “Well…” she climbs over the edge
  • Onarius continues on
  • Asim is unable to move as assassins appear yelling his name.
    <yaax> “I’ll just hold back here and cover you.”
  • Onarius winces and turns away “Ahh, too much…”
    <@monkoflords> The assassins move to fell the downed magister, as the light fades away…

Comments

Monkoflords

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.